Saturday, May 5, 2007

New Drawing - May 5th, 2007





















Sorry for the lack of posts on this blog recently; I've been quite busy with my comic strip work, and though I have been doing some figure drawings, I haven't had time to post to the blog. Well, I promise I'll try to post here on a more regular & frequent basis! I started this blog to be, among other things, a teaching device, and I realize that infrequent & sporadic postings aren't great to learn from.


In any case, I went to a great drawing session today, and as you can see above, I have posted one of the drawings from it, (click on the drawing to see it at a larger size). The model was quite creative with poses... apparently, he is a yoga student, and he came up with some creative, challenging, and occasionally twisted, (in a good way!) poses. He was also a dead ringer for Jake Shears from the Scissor Sisters, which made him even more interesting to draw! A good chunk of the drawing session was shorter poses, (2 minute, 5 minute, and 10 minute poses), which, as you may know, I'm not wild about. However, this did allow the model to do some of his more challenging, stretching yoga-style poses, which I doubt anyone could hold for an extended period of time. And, a side-benefit of drawing quick poses is that it gets your drawing speed up; there's no time to waste fiddling around. So, when the longer 20 minute poses and 40 minute poses begin, it seems like you have an enormous luxury of time to complete the drawing, which is nice.

My tip for today... if you are having a problem finding models to pose for your class or drawing group, try your local yoga center! People who do yoga are very limber, in touch with their bodies, and capable of some very creative poses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back! i missed you!

buff said...

Greg, another breathtaking male nude figure drawing.

While I saw a lot of stand and posing at IML, most of those guys really wouldn't have the stamina to pose for long sessions like this model did.

Again, I am in awe of your drawings both on this site, and how you capture all the hot hunks populating Kyle's Bed and Breakfast. They all melt my heart.

Mega hairy muscle of gay pride. Looking forward to your next posts.